Blackheath Squash Club
The Rectory Field
Rules of Blackheath Squash Rackets Club
The Object of the club is to provide facilities for and to promote participation of the whole community in the sport of squash.
1. The Club is to be called the Blackheath Squash Rackets Club. The Club is open to all without discrimination for membership in order to participate in the amateur game of Squash Rackets.
The Club may refuse membership or expel from membership only for good and sufficient cause, such as conduct or character likely to bring the Club or sport into disrepute. Appeal against such a decision may be made to the Club’s members and decided by a majority vote.
2. The Club is non-profit making and all monies received are spent on running and improving the Club facilities.
None of the Club’s assets, either in cash or kind, shall be distributed to members or third parties.
3. The rules are subject to the bye-laws and regulations of The Rectory Field Sports Ground for the time being in force, in which every member and visitor is to conform.
4. The game is to be played according to the rules and regulations of England Squash, formerly the Squash Rackets Association.
5. The Club will submit teams to participate in the local Squash Rackets Leagues.
6. The Officers of the Club shall be the Chairman, the Squash Rackets Directors, the Honorary Treasurer, the Honorary Secretary, the Fixtures Secretary, the Social Secretary and the Team Captains.
7. The Club shall be managed by a Committee. This shall consist of the Officers of the Club (who shall be ex-officio members), and such general members as the Officers shall deem to be necessary. Any four members of the Committee shall constitute a quorum.
8. The Officers of the Club and any general members of the Committee shall be elected annually. Nominations, with the names of the proposers and seconders, must reach the Secretary at least three days before the Annual General Meeting. Casual vacancies may be filled by the Committee as required.
9. In the event of the Club being dissolved, any remaining assets will be donated to a registered charity or England Squash (the sport’s governing body) for their use in related community sports.
10. The annual subscriptions shall be decided in General Meeting each year. Annual membership shall commence from the October lst every year
11. On the 1st December every year the Committee may post in the club a list of members from previous years who have not renewed membership
12. Any members failing to pay his or her subscription before the lst November, ceases to be a member, and forfeits all rights and claims upon the Club unless such member justifies the delay to the satisfaction of the Committee. The defaulting member is, however, to remain liable to pay all sums previously due from him or her.
13. No retrospective refund of subscriptions will be given. For medical or other reasons considered valid by the Committee, membership may be suspended and a prorata refund obtained by giving notice to the Committee in writing.
14. The number of full-playing members will be limited by the Committee in line with court capacity.
15. Members of visiting clubs shall be deemed to become temporary members of the Club for the day on a match is played.
16. If the conduct of any member is, in the opinion of the Committee, injurious to the character or interests of the Club, the Committee may decide to expel the member and their decision can only be overruled by a Special General Meeting. If such meeting, determined by a majority of two-thirds of the members present and voting by ballot, to expel the offending member, he or she ceases to be a member, and is to forfeit the subscriptions paid or due, and is not to have any right or claim to or upon the Club or its property or funds.
17. A General Meeting shall be held once at least in every year, for the purpose of receiving the Secretary’s report, passing the accounts, electing officers and Committee for the ensuing year, and other business.
18. Special General Meetings can be called at the request in writing of any three members of the Committee, or any ten members of the Club. The requisition and the notice of the meeting are to express the object of the proposed meeting, and no other business is to be transacted.
19. Except when, in the opinion of the Committee, it is unavoidable, or undesirable, at least seven clear days notice is to be given of every General Meeting. Rule 7 may be modified as necessary. Five members are to form a quorum.
Election of the Squash Rackets Directors
20. The Club shall have the right to appoint three Directors of the Board of the Rectory Field Sports Ground.
21. Members may bring guests to the Club, but such guests will have no voting rights and are not eligible to enter the club tournaments or matches.
22. Subject to any rules made by the Committee, which shall be conclusive, a member may personally introduce visitors to play during the year. Such visitors may not be introduced more than three times in one season. A member of the Club must form one opponent in the game in which a visitor takes part.
23. The Committee may, without assigning any reason, forbid the introduction of any particular person or persons.
24. The Committee may have the right to add to, or alter the regulations for the introduction of guests, visitors or temporary members in such a manner and for such periods as they may consider advisable.
Use of courts
25. The courts are available for play every day of the year from 7.00am until midnight. Exceptions to this rule are Team matches, any organized coaching sessions arranged by the Club Coaches and Club tournament games.
26. At times when the court booking system is in operation the courts may be booked by members in accordance with the court booking rules on the MyCourts system at blackheathsquashclub.mycourts.co.uk. At all other times use of courts by members is in accordance with paragraphs 27 and 28.
27. All members should put their name on the blackboard in the club so others members can see the order of play.
28. The courts are allocated 40 minutes for a game, 3 people or a doubles match may play for 60 minutes. If no other members are waiting for a court, at the end of their session, members may continue playing another session or less.
29. The Committee has the power at any time to set the times the court booking system is in operation, reserve or set apart any courts for the use of any tournament, match or handicap whether or not members of the Club take part therein.
30. All players must wear the appropriate sports clothing and squash shoes with non-marking soles. Shoes or boots or trainers are not to be worn.
31. All complaints, suggestions, or disputes must be referred to the Committee in writing, and their decision is to be final.
32. These rules may from time to time, with the sanction of the Directors of the Company, be varied or added to at a General Meeting of the Club. The nature of the proposed alterations or additions is to be indicated in the notice calling the meeting, and no alteration is to be adopted unless two-thirds of the members present.