Squash has been played at Blackheath for over eighty years
Help us ensure that this continues for the next eighty!
As you may be aware Blackheath Squash Club is trying to raise funds to re-develop the courts and buildings. The club is a “not for profit” squash club, run by volunteers with membership open to all.
The existing building was built in the 1930’s and is in need of major redevelopment/refurbishment and a project is underway to try and fund the redevelopment.
To date we have had some successes:
- We applied to the Royal borough of Greenwich for planning permission – this was granted in January 2017.
- We have accumulated funds in a reserve account towards the redevelopment – this currently stands at around £45k.
- We have approached Sport England for help with funding the project and have been offered a grant of £50k, subject to getting the full funding for the project.
- From inception of project 80:80 we have been advised by Peter Pendleton & Associates , who have worked on major regeneration projects including the Emirates Stadium for Arsenal F.C. To date they have waived all their fees, in the region of £5k to help support the project.
- We have appointed Chartered Structural Engineers and Civil Engineers Mitchinson Macken to assist on developing the project. They have, to date, waived around £1,000 of the original quoted costs as a charitable donation to the 80:80 project and to support squash.
- We have approached Gleeds to assist us with professional services including Quantity Surveying and Project Management.
- We have appointed Karen Woolland of WCTD to help with grant funding opportunities.
- Matthew Pennycook, local Member of Parliament for Greenwich and Woolwich and Shadow Minister (Exiting the European Union) has pledged his support for the project.
- We have been successful with our application to Little Magic Grants for £500 pounds (maximum available).
- As part of the Little Magic Grants application we also get a year’s free use of their crowd funding website which includes gift aid. This can be found at https://localgiving.org/donation/blackheath-squash-club
- Our Club Night is now listed in the Greenwich Active web directory, managed by the Charlton Athletic Community Trust . This will help to promote healthy sport for all in The Royal borough of Greenwich.
The fundraising for the refurbishment of the courts continues. The target is to raise the necessary funds to refurbish the two existing courts and provide two new courts and further space which can be used for many purposes. These can include meetings, social events, pilates sessions, yoga etc. run by the club, local charities, not for profit organisations and others in the Royal Borough of Greenwich.
In the coming months you should see a number of initiatives aimed at raising funds to further the project and we hope that members, their families and others will support us.
If you would like to make a donation (we can claim gift aid) please click here to visit our Local Giving web page or Click on the Localgiving logo below.
Remember with a Gift Aid contribution we can claim back from HM Revenue and Customs 25p for every £1 donated!
If you would like to help with the project in any way please contact: email@example.com